OH, THE PLACES YOU’LL GO!
SEND OFF YOUR GRADUATE (LITTLE OR BIG) IN STYLE WITH A DR. SEUSSTHEMED PARTY
Dr. Seuss’s Oh, the Places You’ll Go! is a quick classic, inspiring all of those graduates to look at the next phase of life with a true spirit of adventure and balance. Although any graduation party will mainly center around gathering, eating and talking, it is often fun to have a theme for decorations, special food ideas and a few activities as well. This book can serve as the perfect theme for such a party.
Here are 10 ways to throw together a Seuss-tastic fete:
1. Make your invitations bright and colorful with lots of fun shapes. Write something clever, like, “Oh, the places you’ll go when you attend (graduate’s name)’s party!”
2. For decorations, make a large “Congratulations” sign for the graduate. Include a picture of him or her on the sign, and have people write messages around the picture to keep as a special keepsake.
3. Decorate the house with arrows pointing in different directions, representing all the places that the graduate can go.
4. Bright-colored streamers, balloons and tableware will add decorative touches.
5. For favors, send guests home with a copy of the book, or take favorite quotes from the book and write them on fancy paper that can be framed and sent home.
6. Check out FuntoCollect.com for the Dr. Seuss Oh, the Places You’ll Go! Collection. These cool glasses and graduation caps would be fun to hand out and have guests wear at the party.
7. If it is an artsy group, have the guests draw their own caricatures of the graduate as another keepsake. They can also include a favorite quote from the book with their picture as well.
8. During the party, have each guest give a toast to the graduate describing all the places that he or she will go. Prepare for this activity before the party and have several groups even act out the places.
9. Have kazoos, horn blowers, bubbles and poppers on hand to shower the graduate on his or her journey.
10. Don’t forget the cake. Purchase or bake an inexpensive sheet cake, frost it white, and create the cover of the book with different colors of gel icing. It doesn’t need to be an exact match, just in the spirit of the fun.
Adding a playful theme to a graduation party takes the festivities to the next level and gives the lucky graduate a send-off he or she will hold dear forever.
Lisa Kothari is the founder and president of Peppers and Pollywogs (www.peppersandpollywogs.com), a kids’ party-planning company that provides parents with ideas, entertainers and interesting web-based tools (customized rhymes and cards for your invitations!) to make kids’ party planning easy. She has recently written and published Dear Peppers and Pollywogs… What Parents Want to Know About Planning Their Kids’ Parties, which is available at www.amazon.com and www.peppersandpollywogs.com.
Posted in Entertaining